Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:28:32 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> If all this only would not last ages on my weak laptop...

Chances are that the second-to-fastest available CPU for the socket in
your laptop is quite affordable (the fastest one only if your laptop is
really really old).

The downside, of course, being that exchanging a CPU requires some skill
and includes removing of the fan assembly.  Depending on your laptop
(I am sort of specialized on Thinkpad T61) this might require some
non-trivial disassembly and reassembly.  I am sympathetic to Thinkpads
because IBM (now Lenovo) put the service manuals online.  So even while
newer models don't have everything as nicely accessible as older models
did, at least you can print out and follow the instructions (or view
them online on a different computer), given good screw drivers and
plenty of desk space.