Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: Antonio Ospite
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 09:23:47 +0100

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:25:03 +0100
Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]
> Hi Antonio,
>
> I figured to do a regtest-comparison between builds with guile 1.8.8
> and guile 2.0.13:
>
> For that I had to get back guile 1.8.8 and did a build from current master,
> then I did 'make test-baseline'.
> Then I copied the entire folder 'lilypond-git/build/input' elsewhere.
>
> As second step I got guile 2.0.13 back
> (Which is pretty tedious, because it's not in the distro, even not for
> Ubuntu 16.10, if I'm not mistaken.)
> Did a build with your _previous_ patches. (Your mail with the new
> patch-set came in while it was running already.)
> Copied 'lilypond-git/build/input' back into the new build.
> And did 'make check'
>
> This is pretty tedious as well. Anyone with a better suggestion?

You could install debian stable in a virtual machine.

Or for a more lightweight approach you can create a debian stable tree
using debootstrap and run a shell from it in a container with
systemd-nspawn, this is what I did for my quick tests with guile-1.8.

The same goes for people wanting to try lilypond with guile-2.0.13, in
that case a debian unstable container is to be used.

I can elaborate more if there is interest.

> I decided not to abort the running process. Even if the results may be
> outdated they may give some hints for further TODOs.
> It seems they are all instances of the same already known issue,
> though. I attach them anyway, other readers of this thread may be
> interested...
>
> Because index.html contains not the linked images, they are attached
> as screenshots

Some browsers allow to save a complete web page, with all the linked
images in a directory, at least firefox does.

BTW the results are promising, with my latest patchset the UTF-8
characters should be rendered fine. The images are not pixel perfect
because when using guile-2.0 the floating point numbers in the
postscript output are formatted slightly differently and that results
in different positioning of the symbols on the score, but I haven't
looked deeply into that.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--