Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: Paul
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 00:43:45 -0500

On 11/25/2016 06:13 PM, Thomas Morley wrote:

- Investigate why lilypond is a lot slower when using guile-2.0
This is the current main problem, I'd say.

From what I've read, the guile 2.0 interpreter is simply slower than the guile 1.8 interpreter (with the trade-off being that 2.0 has a compiler). For example, a quote from:

https://wingolog.org/archives/2016/01/11/the-half-strap-self-hosting-and-guile

-----------------begin-quote

Back in 2009 when we switched to the eval-in-Scheme, we knew that it would result in a slower interpreter. This is because instead of the interpreter being compiled to native code, it was compiled to bytecode. Also, Guile's Scheme compiler wasn't as good then, so we knew that we were leaving optimizations on the floor. Still, the switch to an evaluator in Scheme enabled integration of the compiler, and we thought that the interpreter speed would improve with time. I just took a look and with this silly loop:

(let lp ((n 0)) (if (< n #e1e7) (lp (1+ n))))

Guile 1.8's interpreter written in C manages to run this in 1.1 seconds. Guile 2.0's interpreter written in Scheme and compiled to the old virtual machine does it in 16.4 seconds. Guile 2.1.1's interpreter, with the closure-chaining optimization, a couple of peephole optimizations in the interpreter, and compiled using the better compiler and VM from Guile 2.2, manages to finish in 2.4 seconds. So we are definitely getting better, and by the time we compile eval.scm to native code I have no doubt that we will be as good as the old C implementation. (Of course, when compiled to Guile 2.2's VM, the loop finishes in 55 /milli/seconds, but comparing a compiler and an interpreter is no fair.)

So I assume (as a non-authority in this area) that the best way to address the slowdown is to start using guile 2.0's compiler to compile LilyPond's scheme code. And I suppose taking that step would make sense after the known bugs are fixed and things work using the interpreter, but are just slower.

-Paul