Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:11:42 +0100

Paul <address@hidden> writes:

> So I assume (as a non-authority in this area) that the best way to
> address the slowdown is to start using guile 2.0's compiler to compile
> LilyPond's scheme code.

For scm/*.scm, yes.  But LilyPond code does a lot by interpreting Scheme
code via #... and $... .  It may mean moving a lot of much-executed code
out of *.ly to separate *.scm files, and we don't currently have a
strategy for doing that at the LSR/user level anyway.

> And I suppose taking that step would make sense after the known bugs
> are fixed and things work using the interpreter, but are just slower.

Well, "just" is at showstopper level.  But I still think that it makes
sense focusing on it once it has become trivial for Guile developers to
reproduce and analyze the problems.  It will be so much more easy to get
them interested in contributing to significant improvements.