Re: Mixed chord/note mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Mixed chord/note mode
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 12:27:11 +0200

Mats Bengtsson <matben@kth.se> writes:

>    Somewhat off-topic, but still related: An inconvenient and
>    non-intuitive consequence of the fact that :8 is not part of the
>    duration, is that it's not remembered from note to note. This means
>    that
>
>    \relative c' {
>    c2:8 d2:8 |
>    e2:8 f2:8 |
>    }
>
>    cannot be shortened into
>
>    \relative c' {
>    c2:8 d |
>    e f |
>    }
>
>    I was recently hit by surprise by this when typesetting some music, and
>    I have to admit that I didn't notice directly that the typeset output
>    wasn't as I expected, so I had to go back and add "2:8" at a number of
>    places. It occurs to me when I write this, that I could have saved some
>    typing by using
>
>    \relative c' {
>    c2:8 d:8 |
>    e:8 f:8 |
>    }

or

\relative c' {
  c2:8 d: |
  e: f: |
}

I think that is short enough for practical purposes to not require
remembering like a duration.  Also leaving off the tremolo unit for
successive tremoli is practical when the duration changes: a drum roll
is rolled the same whatever the underlying base rhythm may be.  Even
though our MIDI is pretty bad at understanding that point.