Re: Mixed chord/note mode

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Mixed chord/note mode
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 10:42:31 +0200

Am 22.08.22 um 20:59 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:
And what do you think about

f1*2:maj7 g:M7 g1:m7 ges1:M7 f1:maj7 ges1:M7

I’m not sure if native English speakers will find it weird to require “M” for a
plain major chord (in France I have mostly seen “Do M” and not “Do” when it was
meant as a chord and not a note, but in English “M” tends to be omitted).

On the threads you link to, there is also the idea by Janek to write chords
with a capital letter at the beginning. I actually find it pretty attractive,
even if it doesn’t make room for supporting tremolo syntax on a chord entered
in “chord mode style”.

I agree with Carl: To demand an extra signifier to make a chord major feels unnatural, seeing as "lead sheet" chord symbols (defaulting to major) are quite well established. I'd also be wary of introducing uppercase variants of pitches for major chords. If we do this, the next step for our German-speaking folks would probably be to replace c'' c' c c c, c,, with c'' c' c C C, (which is actually the standard way of designating pitch octaves in German).

Lukas