Re: Mixed chord/note mode

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Mixed chord/note mode
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 20:59:01 +0200

> Le 22 août 2022 à 15:16, Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> a écrit :
>

>> Am 13.08.22 um 22:04 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> We had this discussion a longer time ago, with chords and notes
>> conflicting in that : is used for tremolo notation, too.
>
> For context:
>
> https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-09/msg00160.html
> [GLISS] Unifying \chordmode and \notemode
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-04/msg00390.html Why
> don't we get rid of \chordmode?
>
> Probably there were other discussions after that, but these were the first I
> found.
>
>> Chord modifiers are a bit of a puzzlement to figure out later, but
>> something like <c:> would (I think) be a major chord, <c:m> a minor
>> chord and so on.
>
> Just for confirmation: This does _not_ mean that \chordmode would be
> abandoned, does it? (I probably got confused by some of the ideas in those
> old threads.)
>
> As someone who uses \figuremode on a daily basis, I learned to loathe the
> necessary < > signs around each and every element I enter (of course I get
> that it would be hard to get rid of them in figure mode). I think it would be
> a considerable gain in heavy-handedness if I would have to do
>
> <f:maj7>1*2 <g:7> <g:m7>1 <ges:7>1 <f:maj7> <ges:7>
>
> instead of
>
> f1*2:maj7 g:7 g1:m7 ges1:7 f1:maj7 ges1:7

And what do you think about

f1*2:maj7 g:M7 g1:m7 ges1:M7 f1:maj7 ges1:M7

I’m not sure if native English speakers will find it weird to require “M” for a
plain major chord (in France I have mostly seen “Do M” and not “Do” when it was
meant as a chord and not a note, but in English “M” tends to be omitted).

On the threads you link to, there is also the idea by Janek to write chords
with a capital letter at the beginning. I actually find it pretty attractive,
even if it doesn’t make room for supporting tremolo syntax on a chord entered
in “chord mode style”.