Re: Testers wanted

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Testers wanted
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 10:24:28 +0100

On 6 Aug 2021, at 21:45, Michael Hendry <hendry.michael@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 4 Aug 2021, at 15:50, Andrew Culver <culver@anarchicharmony.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Michael Hendry
>>
>> FWIW - I installed Lilypond 2.22.1 on Catalina using MacPorts. “nerdling"
>> has also amiably posted version 2.23.3 there as of now.
>>
>> I made a little cheatsheet after my own successful install. Here it is:
>>
>> Installing and using Macports for LilyPond
>> https://www.macports.org/install.php
>> https://guide.macports.org/#installing #better
>> # Xcode must be up to date (see link immediately above)
>> # keep macports up to date
>> sudo port -v selfupdate
>> # search for lilypond ports available
>> port search lilypond*
>> # search for all ports related to lilypond
>> port search lilypond
>> # installing a port help
>> https://guide.macports.org/#using.port.install
>> # installing lilypond
>> sudo port install lilypond
>> # also see port clean and port uninstall
>> https://guide.macports.org/#using.port.clean
>> https://guide.macports.org/#using.port.uninstall
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Andrew Culver
>
> Once I’d deleted the residual files from a ‘brew’ installation, I went
> through the above, and now have a working copy of lilypond (2.22.1).
>
> Most of my files need jazz fonts, and my next task is to get those installed,
> following which Frescobaldi.
>
> Plenty to do on what is predicted to be a wet weekend!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

I seem to be digging myself into a deeper and deeper hole!

In my web-wanderings I came across ‘lyp’ which I hadn’t used before, and which
seemed to offer an easy way of installing lilyjazz fonts.

That appeared to work OK, but it then seemed sensible (to me!) to install the
multiple versions of lilypond offered by lyp, which I did - only to discover
that all versions were compiled for a 32-bit system.

I’ve still got a working version of lilypond in /opt/local/bin but when I
invoke it on a lilypond file which requires jazz fonts, I get...

michaelhendry@iMac Auld Lang Syne % /opt/local/bin/lilypond
--include=../include *.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.22.1
Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 2:
XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 2:
XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Processing `Auld Lang Syne.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[8][16]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
fatal error: cannot find font: `lilyjazz-11'
michaelhendry@iMac Auld Lang Syne %

…which implies that the lyp-installed jazz fonts haven’t been configured
correctly.

I think I should take advantage of the (unexpected) sunshine to refresh what
remains of my brain.

Michael