Re: Changing Header Mid-Score

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Changing Header Mid-Score
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 14:56:14 -0500

Hi Brin,

> I am working on an opera and would like to use text in the header to help the
> performers keep track of where they are in the score. So ideally, the header
> on each page should say something like "Title of Opera: Act I, scene ii",
> with the scene reflecting whatever the current scene is. Since there aren't
> musical stops between the scenes, I would like the scenes to flow into one
> another in the same \score block (so that a scene might start in the middle
> of a line of music, say), which is pretty standard from the opera scores and
> parts I'm used to.

Having engraved many of my own musicals, operas, and the like, I can say that
breaking things into scenes — or even smaller chunks — is really useful, and
gives you ultimate flexibility: you can break the scene wherever you want
(e.g., the middle of a line of music), keeping each “building block” separate,
and then “stitch them together” in any number of score formats/outputs.

At that point, having the header reflect the exact “building block” in question
is really simple.

Just my 2¢ (from twenty years of Lilypond-ing my music dramas) — hope it’s
helpful!
Kieren.