Re: Changing Header Mid-Score

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Changing Header Mid-Score
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:34:32 +0100

Le 11/12/2022 à 18:44, Lukas-Fabian Moser a écrit :
Am 11.12.22 um 10:32 schrieb Jacques Menu:
Thumbs up, Jean, this is worth being in the LPNR!

If I'm not mistaken, this marvelous code could easily be generalized to provide a command (during music) which sets arbitrary variables that may be retrieved in header/footer definitions, and which could be made part of core LilyPond.

My list of "stuff to do for LilyPond over the holidays" is already overlong, and I'm sure I couldn't do it half as well, but I'm putting it on my list anyway - unless Jean himself feels enticed to do it himself?

If you are motivated, have at it. I have enough to do for LilyPond as it is. Feel free to open an issue to discuss the details.

For what it's worth, if integrating something like this into LilyPond, you can modify Page_breaking::draw_page in lily/page-breaking.cc so that it passes these "extra" titling variables to make-page from scm/page.scm directly. Then the markup can be directly interpreted with the final variables from the start, obviating this "gauge" argument to \scene-text. *But*, there is another caller of make-page, in Page_breaking::page_height. The latter is called from various parts of the page breaker while it is figuring out the best page breaking configuration. I'm not exactly sure if it's possible and/or desirable for the page breaker to pass the systems to Page_breaking::page_height and not just the page number + whether it's the last page. However, even if the gauge has to be retained for the sake of that, having the right stencils already after page breaking instead of using these "delay-stencil-evaluation" stencils would already be simpler.

Best,
Jean