lout-users

Characters and glyphs

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Characters and glyphs
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 02:34:55 +0300

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 09:12:22PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> I don't want to go into character-glyph saga here.  You can read about
> this on Unicode site and few other places whose urls I don't have
> handy right now.

The following documents should give a good idea about characters,
glyphs, fonts and all that mess (e.g. Lout's @Char should really be
named @Glyph, but Adobe used to use the term "character" to mean
"glyph" throughout the PostScript Reference Manual, and probably their
other documents).

A posting by Erik Naggum that nicely summarize relevant terminology.
[I *love* to read Erik's postings].

    http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=323109316

Unfortunately, Unicode and Internationalization Glossary page is gone
It used to be at Stonehand's site, but they were bought and their new
site doesn't carry this *very* useful collection anymore.

    http://www.stonehand.com/unicode/glosscnt.html

W3C: i18n/l10n: character sets

    http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.html

Unicode Technical Report #17 (PROPOSED DRAFT)
Character Encoding Model

    http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr17/

Guidelines for Linguistic Software Development, Section 1.1
Characters.  [It quotes "Character/Glyph Model" from the Stonehand's
Unicode Glossary mentioned above]

    http://www.lpl.univ-aix.fr/projects/multext/LSD/LSD2.html

SY, Uwe