lout-users

RE: Another way of tweaking lout to support alien characters?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: Another way of tweaking lout to support alien characters?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 15:48:20 -0000 (GMT)

On 03-Dec-98 Matìj Cepl wrote:
> [...]

This whole discussion about different character sets, glyphs, codes etc
has dropped me into deeper waters than -- in Lout -- I am used to
swimming in. I need to think about these issues for a while.

However, a quick response to the above.

Matthew asked how gtroff would deal with hyphenation for a specially
defined character (such as \(zv for <z-caron>). Hyphenation can be a
complex issue and there are several resources relevant to it, but the
short answer is that you can make its hyphenation equivalent to some other
"standard" character: the request

.hcode \(zv z

would have the effect that if "muzstvo" would have been hyphenated
muz-stvo, then "mu\(zvstvo" will be hyphenated mu\(zv-stvo. In any case,
if the worst comes to the worst, the "soft-hyphen" character "\%" will
always make that position available for hyphenation if layout suggests it:
"mu\(zv\%stvo".

Bye for now,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>