Re: Dependecies

From: Rory Toma
Subject: Re: Dependecies
Date: 20 Sep 2002 15:05:38 -0700

> Can you have more entries in a depend statement like, depend A B C? It
> looks okay although I somehow prefeered a global set statement since
> it looks more explicit, like: set dependencies A->B->C but this is
> probably more difficult to implement? Anyway my preferences are not
> very strong if it's done this way or that way as long as it's done :-)

You can have more than one dependency, and monit will stop and start
each one. It is up to the config file maintainer to properly encapsulate
complicated dependencies, and I let the other monit machinery take care
of things automatically. So for instance, if you have a process chain
where c depends on b which depends on a, in your monitrc you can either
do:

check a
depend b
depend c

check b
depend c

check c

or

check a
depend b

check b
depend c

check c

In the first case, it will try to stop/start c twice, but it will still
work. I'm right now just getting the multiple depend statements to work.

I believe that this is more flexible, takes advantage of things monit
already does, and adds the least amount of code and complexity to the
existing code. (I.e. I spent some amount of time figuring out how to get
this in with the least amount of code)

--
Rory Toma               address@hidden
VP of Run Level 5       http://www.trs80.net