monit '-i' option?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: monit '-i' option?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:25:45 +0200

Hi,

i don't understand validate option '-i'. It is documented as:

 -i Validate mode, startup in validate mode

The only thing which it does if specified is to set Run.validate flag:

---
static void handle_options(int argc, char **argv) {
   case 'i':
       Run.validate= TRUE;
       break;
}
---

And the only place where it is used is in do_default() function, which is runned if no specific command (action like "start all", "validate", etc.) was defined on the command line and that monit is running in daemon mode:

---
static void do_default() {
 if(Run.isdaemon) {
   for(;;) {

     if(Run.validate != TRUE) {
       validate();
     } else {
       Run.validate= FALSE;
     }
 } else {
   validate();
 }
}
---

As you can see, the resulting behavior is, that in the case that monit is running in daemon mode (and '-i' option was specified), it will ommit first validate cycle, set Run.validate=FALSE (which is equal to the case where no '-i' option was specified) and next cycle it starts validate() as usual.

I think '-i' option is broken - the behavior is strange. I don't know - maybe it is some forgotten option before 'validate' command was introduced.

If there is no reason for it, i propose to remove it from 4.0 and simplify the do_default() function to run validate() in daemon mode in all cases - instead of:

---
     if(Run.validate != TRUE) {
       validate();
     } else {