Re: monit '-i' option?

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monit '-i' option?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:27:21 +0200

Martin Pala <address@hidden> writes:

> My vote is +0 for readding '-i' with initial test cycles skip count
> configurable extension (as Rory recommended) and -1 for readding it
> in original form (skip validate in first cycle only).

Thanks for the explanation Rory, I now understand the rationale for
adding -i and how it in fact might be a functional and practical
workaround in the scenario you describe, but as Martin augmented it
*is* a workaround and does not correct the fundamental problem.

The problem with this solution is that it _might_ work, but on the
other hand it might _not_ work. The problem is that it is impossible
to know _a priori_ the value of -i and for how long monit should wait
before it should start monitoring services. E.g. should the value for
-i be 3 or 10 and if you add a new service to the system, which value
should now be used for -i or if the daemon poll time was changed how
does this affect the value of -i and so on.

In other words I think we should try to find a solution to the problem
otherwise and it might very well be that Martin's suggestion is the
best solution. That is, to have monit start services at boot time
instead of init. I don't know, but I do not think that re-adding -i is
the best solution so my vote is, -1 in both cases.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland