Re: monit '-i' option?

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monit '-i' option?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 02:35:54 +0200

Rory Toma <address@hidden> writes:

> If you are going to have monit start services at boot time, then we
> can do something like with poll cycles. Each process can have a
> "skip x amount of cycles..."
>
> Starting services with monit is not always desirable... In my case, it
> becomes difficult, as all the 10 processes or so have a dependency
> chain.
>
> I currently solve this now by having monit sleep for 5 minutes on
> boot...

Maybe we should not think in cycles but simply in time, maybe the
simplest solution is to say that the -i switch makes monit start by
sleeping x sec before going on to monitoring services. If so, I
suggest that we should rename -i to -S instead. If we choose to do
this, we must also remember to save to the state file that monit has
slept, if not, if monit should crash and init restarts monit, monit
will always sleep x sec first which is obviously not what we want.

(I still feel that this is a bit like trying to schedule threads by
inserting sleep() into the code, it might work, but it is A bad and
undependable hack :-)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland