Re: monit '-i' option?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: monit '-i' option?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:39:02 +0200

Lets discuss whether it is needed then.

I think it could be usefull only in the case, that you start monit from init and the services from runlevel rc scripts. In such case there can occure race condition between rc script and monit started from init. This will not be solved cleanly by skipping validate() in one or more monit cycles - such solution only extends the timeframe => in most cases the race condition could not happen.

The correct way to solve it is to start such critical services from monit directly - monit then will have the service (including start) under its control and no false alarms or actions will occure. Btw. this way works in real life cluster frameworks too - in the case that you need some service to run under cluster's process monitor, you must start it via cluster resources.

Though in theory above mentioned solution is clean alternative to -i option problem, it is possible that in praxis -i could work well for most cases (in the case that the this startup behavior will be configurable). In the case that we will readd -i option again, it should be well documented including context description (when to use it).

My vote is +0 for readding '-i' with initial test cycles skip count configurable extension (as Rory recommended) and -1 for readding it in original form (skip validate in first cycle only).

Martin

Rory Toma wrote:

This should probably be extended to include an integer number.

The syntax would be:

monit -i 3

where 3 would tell how many poll cycles to skip before starting
monitoring.

Why would you do this? If you start monit from inittab, and you have
some monitored processes that take can take a long time to come up the
first time or at boot, it is useful to not try to restart them right
away.