[Monotone-devel] Re: merging interface

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: merging interface
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:10:39 +0000

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Hmm, I'm not sure I'm fond of having conflict markers committed.
> Apart from the apparent problems with someone trying to compile a
> marked file and resolving it in a quick-and-sloppy manner, there's
> also this foul taste in my mouth when people are trying to use their
> version control tool as a communication device.

Actually I find CVS-style conflict markers rather convenient (for text
files).  I'm used to dealing with them, and there are many tools
(including ediff) that can deal with them.  So once I've found the
file, all the information's in it.  If I have three files (with
different versions) then I need to tell whichever tool about them.
However, that's a minor isssue.

> Also, there's an issue that I didn't see raised at all: how do we deal
> with binary files?

I guess if only one branch changes a binary file, then a best guess is
presumably that the changed version is the right choice.  Otherwise I
guess you want all the versions.

[...]