Re: [Monotone-devel] merging interface

From: Olivier Andrieu
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] merging interface
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:24:11 +0100 (CET)

 > Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker [Wed, 17 Nov 2004]:
 > In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:34:23 +0000, Bruce
 > Stephens <address@hidden> said:
 >
 > monotone> Really what I'd like is to be left with a working tree with
 > monotone> the conflicting files indicated in some way: then I can deal
 > monotone> with them in an order that makes sense to me, and I can
 > monotone> perform whatever sanity checks on the merged tree that make
 > monotone> sense.  Then I can make sure that my merge cert actually
 > monotone> means something about the revision.
 > monotone> Can I do that in some way now?
 >
 > Very manually, by fetching each head separately, doing a merge
 > using your favorite tool, do a commit with the result and add the
 > corresponding certs manually.  I've got a propagate script that
 > goes around the problem that came up with rename certs, which you
 > could use as a basis if you want.

Humm no, you can't do this anymore, can you ? Ancestry relations of
revisions does derive from certs, so commit will always create a new
revision with a single ancestor and you'll still have two heads, no
matter what certs you add. AFAIK merge is the only operation that can
produce a revision with more than one ancestor (and thus reduce the
number of heads).

--
   Olivier