Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time - au stdio update

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time - au stdio update
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 09:22:51 +0100

   Sounds like a great idea to me, especially the 1.0 bit :-)).

However one minor point about the impending release (what ever version it may be) :-(...

I was looking at the changes for the next release and noticed the au update command. Great, but why does it's progress messages go out on stderr, should that not go out on stdout in the normal output stream (possibly in stanza format)? It would be nice if it were consistent with other au stdio commands as most things using au stdio treat output on stderr as indicating a problem.

The main issue is where the output goes. As for free format text vs stanza I'm happy to leave that to people better qualified to judge the merits of that point.

If this could be fixed before the next release that would be great as I would like to avoid putting in nasty `read stderr until no more data and redirect to normal output channels' exception code for one command into Monotone::AutomateStdio for the sake of one release (this library completely supports all au stdio commands in versions of Monotone 0.35 up to and including 0.47).

   Happy to raise a bug ticket if this is deemed acceptable.

   Tony.
Hi all!

As I've announced earlier I'd like to start the machinery for the next
monotone release now that the database management branch has landed. So
if you have anything you'd also really like to see in the next monotone
version, please finish it up and merge it into mainline (I remember we
still have a couple of open bugfest branches, right Derek and Richard?),
because I'd like to give the translators a chance to work on a stable
i18n source.

Apropos release - a fellow developer reminded me that we *might* want to
set a proper release number for the next release (you know what I'm
talking about, 1.0...) - given the fact that we're still recognized as
"alpha" software in a couple of places. What do you think?

On the upside is for me that we have tons of bugfixes and a nice set of
new features, so it should be a sound release. On the downside is I
think that there might be a couple of "rough" edges which people would
like to see fixed before a 1.0 happens. I don't see many of these edges
though and the ones I see are open for so long that they won't be fixed
in any immediately following release either, so they should not block
1.0 any longer.

So what do you think? Is it 1.0 time...? And if yes, do we want to make
it extra-safe and start a release candidate cycle to flesh out possible
bugs with the new functionality?

Thomas.