Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:54:43 -0400

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:38:32AM +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:

> Apropos release - a fellow developer reminded me that we *might* want to
> set a proper release number for the next release (you know what I'm
> talking about, 1.0...) - given the fact that we're still recognized as
> "alpha" software in a couple of places. What do you think?

Just for the sake of argument:

While 1.0 is good for a public image perspective, is it something that
you want to lock yourself into?

I can think of a few things that might potentially happen that might
be harder to pull off post-1.0:

 - s/netxx/asio/

 - netsync over TLS

 - policy branches (or some equivalent change; mtn's inability to do
   proper per-branch security is actually a big problem for me - it
   makes me nervous giving out write access to public projects,
   because while I'd be fine giving some random person write access to
   some particular subbranch that I could pull changes from, I
   wouldn't want them to be able to scribble elsewhere, even by
   accident. Limitations in this area also make me nervous about
   putting branches that have to remain private/secure on my public
   mtn server).

Just wanted to put it out there.

BTW, a minor suggestion: if the next release is 1.0, perhaps this
would be the time to switch the versioning scheme? 1.0 implies
stability, so people will be surprised if there are major changes
between, say, 1.23 and 1.24. Going to a triplet major.minor.patch ala
Linux kernel would make it easier for users to see which were small or
bugfix releases (1.0.4->1.0.5) and which were larger (1.0.5->1.1.0).
(OTOH one could represent larger changes by going to 2.x, 3.x, ...  as
well, so I suppose this is a bit of bikeshedding)

-Jack