Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time - au stdio update

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time - au stdio update
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 22:06:26 +0100

Thomas Keller wrote:
Am 27.05.2010 12:56, schrieb Stephen Leake:
Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

Am 27.05.2010 10:22, schrieb CooSoft Support:
   Sounds like a great idea to me, especially the 1.0 bit :-)).

   However one minor point about the impending release (what ever
version it may be) :-(...

   I was looking at the changes for the next release and noticed the au
update command. Great, but why does it's progress messages go out on
stderr, should that not go out on stdout in the normal output stream
(possibly in stanza format)?
First, a little background, just so we are all on the same page.
[...]
Yes, this is indeed a bug. Stephe, could you please have a look at
this?
I don't think this is a bug; I think it's a good example of 'au stdio'
streams, and an unfortunate side effect of the progress stream when not
using stdio.

Thanks for the explanation :) I haven't looked into the exact issue from
Tony - I thought though that he meant there is out-of-band stderr output
when using update over stdio. But if its all about progress messages he
complains about, then these should be properly streamed to the 'p'
(progress) stream already. If not, then that is a bug :)
Ok sorry for the confusion. I don't have access to my dev box at the moment. When Thomas suggested a new release I looked at the release notes and documentation regarding au stdio changes and read up on the new update command. Virtually all other au commands if not all simply mention what comes out on stdout by implication (apart from the barfing to stderr and exiting on error bit), update specifically mentioned stderr with reference to progress output, hence my, unfounded, concern. Monotone::AutomateStdio is totally based on au stdio so having it pop out on the p stream is what would be expected.

I got the wrong end of the stick from the documentation - sorry for the time wasted... :-(

Tony.