Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time

From: Zbigniew Zagórski
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Release time
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 00:26:22 +0200

Hi,

2010/5/27 Jack Lloyd <address@hidden>
> I can think of a few things that might potentially happen that might
> be harder to pull off post-1.0:
>
>  - s/netxx/asio/

AFAIR, it's only implementation detail. Do we wan't to change netsync
protocol together with asio introduction ?

>  - netsync over TLS

It's a "pure new feature" that could be easy added over existing monotone
functionality.

Am i missing something ?

>  - policy branches

Giving that lot of us consider monotone as stable and production
ready,  policy branches (+nuskool sync maybe) will a "revolution"
that fully justifies even "2.0" switch ... considering that we will decide to
lock 1.0.

> BTW, a minor suggestion: if the next release is 1.0, perhaps this
> would be the time to switch the versioning scheme? 1.0 implies
> stability, so people will be surprised if there are major changes
> between, say, 1.23 and 1.24. Going to a triplet major.minor.patch ala
> Linux kernel would make it easier for users to see which were small or
> bugfix releases (1.0.4->1.0.5) and which were larger (1.0.5->1.1.0).

+1.

Summarizing, i fully agree that monotone is 1.0 ready - maybe not with
very next release but soon. I mean that "content is 99%" complete
for production use and only improvements are needed.

--
Zbigniew Zagórski
/ software developer / geek / http://zbigg.blogspot.com /