Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: /etc under version control

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: /etc under version control
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:47:48 -0400

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 01:00:29AM +0200, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Gour D. wrote:
> > On #monotone I've got info to take a look at "6.1.10 Attribute
> > Handling", but would like to hear some more hints how to proceed in the
> > "/etc under mtn" project?

The hard part of versioning /etc is interfacing cleanly with the package
manager.  You need the package manager to update the vendor branch, and
then do an appropriate merge with the active branch.

It shouldn't be hard to do, but the package manager has to be involved.
Maybe we should start logging bugs against package managers.

Of course if you exclusively hand-edit your /etc it's another story.

-- hendrik