Re: [RP] queries from a new user...

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [RP] queries from a new user...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:50:43 +0200

Thus spoke kevin lyda <address@hidden> on 2001-04-11 11:39:02:
> i mentioned ratpoison on the irish linux users group mailing list.
> there's an impending guinness strike so we might have time to mess with
> it though we'll also be grumpy.  anyway, my first impressions:
>
> first, i have a solaris workstation at work.  how the fsck to i convince
> the damn thing to have ratpoison session?

If I remember correctly, there was some discussion about it on this
list, please see the archives, I don't recall it offhand...

> second, i use the gimp on occasion and i hate to admit it, but i'll be
> using the mouse.  how does the gimp come up - does split screen let you
> group a set of windows like a single window?
>
> lastly i use xmms on my home laptop.  any tips to get it to play nice
> with ratpoison?  i used to use mh (i've switched to mutt) so i was
> thinking aliases like next, prev, etc might work.  but what about the
> little main screen it uses?

It is a transient, so it will appear on the center of your screen.
At least, It did that when I last checked :)

> oh, and one more thing on saving space: i see you're parsing your own
> commandline.  otoh you're using xlib.  why not have xlib parse your
> commandline for you?  no savings for systems with glibc, but a meager
> savings for other systems.  plus you then get standard x switches like
> -display (useful when you use Xnest to test out new wm's).

Wow! xlib has commandline parsing thingy ? Sounds nice!

Gergely Nagy \ mhp/|8]