Re: [RP] queries from a new user...

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] queries from a new user...
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:55:58 -0700

>> lastly i use xmms on my home laptop.  any tips to get it to play nice
>> with ratpoison?
>
>dont think i can help you here.  in what way doesnt it play nice with
>ratpoison?

you could get the cdtools package and bind keys in ratpoison to play,
pause, and skip (what more do you really need?):

bind l exec cdplay
bind ^l exec cdpause

of course if you want to play oggs or mp3s this doesn't work, but you
can create song lists in files and then under ratpoison:

: exec splay `cat classic-rock-songs`

and that'd play each of the songs in the classic-rock-songs file. Lets
face it, what does xmms give you that you can't do with shell scripts
and keybindngs? A flashy interface with lots of rat-induced wank. How
often do you REALLY watch the volume meter bounce around? xmms just
another example of the app-for-everything syndrome.