Re: [RP] queries from a new user...

From: kevin lyda
Subject: Re: [RP] queries from a new user...
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:23:32 -0400

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:41:51AM -0700, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> kevin lyda <address@hidden> writes:
> Hmmm, what is your solaris machine putting you in by default?  Some
> dtsession or something?  Its been a while since I've used Solaris.

yes, cde.  eek.  i never liked cde.

> Nope, but see the messages in another thread on this list.  The user
> interface for something like this hasn't been decided yet.

i like the discussion about registered sets.  can't seem to go very far
back in the archives - just the last 30 messages or so, i must be mising
something on the geocrawler web site.

> > lastly i use xmms on my home laptop.  any tips to get it to play nice
> > with ratpoison?
> dont think i can help you here.  in what way doesnt it play nice with
> ratpoison?

just that it's a small window, and would be silly taking up the entire
screen (if it even can).  like i said, a commandline alternative might
work better.

> yes, you have a point, things like -display would be a good thing.
> Unfortunatly I dont think (correct me if im wrong) but the xlib
> commandline parser doesnt grok the --long-options.

you're correct.  but long opts are evil!  :)

some additional issues i've seen:

i have this in my .ratpoisonrc:

    escape backslash
    bind backslash generate

but typing backslash twice doesn't generate a backslash.  why?  you're not
using xsendevent, are you?  ack, you are.  the XTest extension call is
commented out which is better, but less portable (not much though).
not sure of the solution, but xsendevent is *not* it.

lastly, netscape menus sometimes just stop working.  i can't reproduce
it, sometimes it just happens, most times it doesn't.  if i click the
file menu it will "depress" but no menu comes up.

kevin