Re: [RP] argh. split-screen help.

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] argh. split-screen help.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:48:29 -0700

>Your right about a set of frames, though.  Emacs has something called
>window-configuration-to-register which will save window configurations
>(which are basically like splits in ratpoison) along with the buffers
>and point posititions within each window.  After I store a window
>configuration to a register I can do jump-to-register to pop back to
>that configuration.
>
>So, how does this sound?  Set up all yer frames with contents in each
>window, ie a complicated gimp setup.  Then run
>
>:pushframeconf g  # store the config in the 'g' register
>
>reconfigure the frames and contents for something else, say your
>wacked out pine/fetchmail thing and then
>
>:pushframeconf m
>
>now you can switch back and forth with
>
>:popframeconf g
>:popframeconf m
>
>Of course :bind would be your friend here.

This seems like a solution if you really use splits a lot. If someone does
write this, make it #ifdef'able.

I find this to be very cumbersome in emacs and I'm generally pretty
loose with windows under emacs. The reason window configurations are
not that useful in emacs is because all buffers are at your fingertips
so being able to see several buffers at once and flipping between
different configs doesn't buy you much. In my experience the same goes
for screen and I think the same is true for ratpoison (perhaps not
quite as advanced as emacs). I don't think that splitting your screen
all to hell is very productive. Beyond making fancy screenshots and
pushing the theoretical limit, I can't imagine why you'd want to do
it. Split screen allows you to view a couple windows if you really
need it, but its not meant to replace a tiling WM.

This whole 'but what about the gimp' line of arguments is really
getting on my nerves. Who here ACTUALLY uses the gimp on a regular
basis?? The gimp is so ratcentric (if you don't use scripting as mhp
pointed out) its not even funny. My stance is: if you want to use the
gimp go boot up some steroid rat WM, the gimp has very very little
influence on the development of ratpoison.