Re: [RP] argh. split-screen help.

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] argh. split-screen help.
Date: 11 Apr 2001 10:37:33 -0700

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

> So I have split my screens with C-t S.  How do I go back to having a window
> take up the full screen again?  How do I split the screen horizontally?  I'd
> like to be able to "undo" both a horizontal and vertical split, each
> separately.

C-tS == hsplit
C-t^S == vsplit
C-tR == remove  (remove the current frame)
C-tQ == only    (make this the only frame)

> It would be nice if there was a concept of a "set of frames"... so, for
> instance,
> on one "Screen" I get the windows all split and such; then I move between such
> "Screen"s, so windows configured a certain way could stay that way.  So, for
> instance, the gimp could be one configuration, my xterm with little logger
> scrolling underneath it would be another, pine with my mail downloader beneath
> it...  Reconfiguring the screen setup everytime I want to switch a set of apps
> is a pain; far easier to stick to the old way of each app gets full screen.

The organization of split screen's is primitive.  I am finding it
easier to go fullscreen all the time too, only splitting the screen in
half when necessary.

Your right about a set of frames, though.  Emacs has something called
window-configuration-to-register which will save window configurations
(which are basically like splits in ratpoison) along with the buffers
and point posititions within each window.  After I store a window
configuration to a register I can do jump-to-register to pop back to
that configuration.

So, how does this sound?  Set up all yer frames with contents in each
window, ie a complicated gimp setup.  Then run

:pushframeconf g  # store the config in the 'g' register

reconfigure the frames and contents for something else, say your
wacked out pine/fetchmail thing and then

:pushframeconf m

now you can switch back and forth with

:popframeconf g
:popframeconf m

Of course :bind would be your friend here.

Ryan