Re: [RP] new ratpoison user trouble

From: Joss Winn
Subject: Re: [RP] new ratpoison user trouble
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:48:28 +0900

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 01:02:35PM -0700, shawn wrote:

> >Hello,
> >
> >I've just installed ratpoison and am having some trouble.  Been on
> >irc #ratpoison and eventually pointed here.
> >
> >First, I ran ratpoison and got a standard X screen and X pointer.
> >The key bindings worked but in the mini window in the top right of
> >the screen, any executable I entered there was ignored.  I couldn't
> >get any application to run.  Trying the full path also did not work.
>
> Do you get an error message or do you just wait there forever?
> ratpoison prints to standard out error messages. These errors may help
> you in determining the problem if you can get to ratpoison's
> stdout. The other option could be to pipe its output to a file. My
> hunch is that you are hitting C-t: instead of C-t!. C-t: lets you
> execute ratpoison commands, whereas, C-t! executes shell commands.
>
> >Next, I copied the sample rc file to ~/.ratpoisonrc and ran it
> >again.  this time a black screen and arrow pointer but the
> >keybindings don't work.  I get a dead keyboard.
>
> You should probably read the sample rc file and copy out parts that
> you want into your own rc. It is meant as an example of what is
> possible, rather than a 'good' configuration.

OK, so I deleted everything from the sample rc file except the line
that changes the screen to black and the pointer (I like it). Now it
works, but still I can't execute an xterm (nor do I want to - I use
a kterm (Japanese).  I know how I can set the default in my rc but
how can I set it to a kterm prompt for when I press C-t C!.  Right now I
get a little box with 'exec xterm -e' I want to change that xterm to
a kterm (exec kterm -e).

And while I am here....what is the syntax to change the key bindings.  I'd like
switch windows with ALT 1, 2, 3, etc. I can see how you bind a key
to an application, but can I change the original key bindings?

Thanks very much.
Joss
--
http://www.josswinn.org