Re: [RP] ... --solved (with my workspace scripts) -Phuk!

From: Kipling Inscore
Subject: Re: [RP] ... --solved (with my workspace scripts) -Phuk!
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 05:02:03 -0800

> > I think clients should probably be able to draw to their own windows
> > (if mapped) and to off-screen pixel buffers without asking the window
> > manager. Drawing is a request that has to go to the X server.
> > Window managers like ratpoison would have a much easier task if they
> > were able to really screen, filter and forward any requests from other
> > clients.
>
> Are you sure there's no way to do that? Perhaps a seperate app controlled
> by the window manager that intercepted calls to the X server?

There's no good way that I can think of. There's no official way.
The X server could be modified to send its events to a filtering
program before actually executing them. This would make the server
deviate from the X protocol specification.
Xlib could be modified to send its requests to a filtering program
before even sending them to the X server. This would make it seem that
the server is deviating from protocol spec. And there are a few
programs that don't use Xlib to generate and interpret their X11
network packets.
Another option is to run a fake or proxy X server that's acting as a
firewall--screening, filtering and forwarding packets between clients
and the real X server. This requires duplicating the server-side X11
packet interpretation and generation, which isn't in Xlib, or
listening carefully to a real but hidden X server and keeping track of
a set of lies corresponding to the differences from the user's X
server.

> As for emacs, well, I'm a vi guy. On my box, [x]emacs is aliased to:

As am I. Vim, actually. But not gvim.