Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:18:01 +0100 (CET)

Jeff Bailey writes:
 > On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:06:30AM -0500, Hugo Gayosso wrote:
 >
 > > 1. GNATS will stay at fencepost or are we going to set up a new GNATS
 > >    installation at savannah and then migrate?
 >
 > GNATS will stay on fencepost.

 Yes.

 > > 2. Same question for mailman.
 >
 > Mailman needs to stay on fencepost, since it's the mail server.  We'd
 > have to register the aliases over there anyway, so why not keep it all
 > there together?

 Stay on fencepost. Why is it needed to register aliases ? Savannah will
just have a link to mailman mailing lists. Guillaume will be implementing
the following 1) send a mailing list creating request from Savannah to
Mailman and register the fact that the mailing list was created on behalf
of project X in order to list that mailing list in the project pages, 2) allow
a user to say : this Mailman mailing list is related to project Y so that
the fact is remembered by Savannah and the list can be shown in the project Y
pages.

 The integration will be lose, as it's the case with SourceForge.net
currently. When this is done the only real benefit will be that
savannah.gnu.org/projects/X/ will become a reference page to find a) CVS
access, b) list of contributors, c) pointer to mailing lists, d) pointer to
GNATS databases.

 > > 3. How are we planning the interface to GNATS to be?
 > >      a) A link to gnatsweb
 >
 > This one, although gnatsweb is poorly suited to the job.  Gnatsweb and
 > gnats need to be adapted to dynamically follow the database structure.

 Why gnatsweb is poorly suited to the job ? I don't know anything about
gnats. Unlike Mailman, GNATS will have to share the user database with
Savannah, otherwise it will be quite impractical to use. Do you have an
idea on how to do this ? I can setup mysql on savannah.gnu.org to grant
access to fencepost.gnu.org with user/passwd dedicated to GNATS.

 > >      c) email interface (that's a given for GNATS, but we have to do
 > >         some tweaking at /com/mailer/aliases specially if we are
 > >         running one database per project).
 >
 > I'm not sure how best to deal with this.  I've been telling people
 > fencepost access and gnatsweb only for now.

 I don't understand why GNATS need aliases ? What is the email interface ?
I realize I should look into GNATS and I'm not asking you to explain it ;-)
If you could just tell me what GNATS need that Savannah has, we can find a
way to give GNATS access to it, one way or the other.

    Cheers,