Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:39:30 -0800

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 09:18:01AM +0100, Loic Dachary wrote:

>  > > 2. Same question for mailman.
>  >
>  > Mailman needs to stay on fencepost, since it's the mail server.  We'd
>  > have to register the aliases over there anyway, so why not keep it all
>  > there together?
>
>  Stay on fencepost. Why is it needed to register aliases ?

Mailman asks the administrator to add the following to the aliases for
for each list:

## plan-vyag mailing list
## created: 30-Dec-2000 jbailey
plan-vyag:               "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post plan-vyag"
plan-vyag-admin:         "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner plan-vyag"
plan-vyag-request:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd plan-vyag"
plan-vyag-owner:         plan-vyag-admin

>  > > 3. How are we planning the interface to GNATS to be?
>  > >      a) A link to gnatsweb
>  >
>  > This one, although gnatsweb is poorly suited to the job.  Gnatsweb and
>  > gnats need to be adapted to dynamically follow the database structure.
>
>  Why gnatsweb is poorly suited to the job ? I don't know anything about
> gnats. Unlike Mailman, GNATS will have to share the user database with
> Savannah, otherwise it will be quite impractical to use. Do you have an
> idea on how to do this ? I can setup mysql on savannah.gnu.org to grant
> access to fencepost.gnu.org with user/passwd dedicated to GNATS.

Gnatsweb assumes a particular database structure.  I don't want to force
people to use it.  Gnats is quite flexable, most of the UIs are not.

I had been planning on hacking Gnats to use Kerberos.  Right now it looks
at plain text flatfiles.  If you want to update the flatfiles, that would
work, but the passwords are stored in plaintext.

All web communications and connections to the gnatsd socket are unencrypted.

>  > >      c) email interface (that's a given for GNATS, but we have to do
>  > >         some tweaking at /com/mailer/aliases specially if we are
>  > >         running one database per project).
>  >
>  > I'm not sure how best to deal with this.  I've been telling people
>  > fencepost access and gnatsweb only for now.
>
>  I don't understand why GNATS need aliases ? What is the email interface ?
> I realize I should look into GNATS and I'm not asking you to explain it ;-)
> If you could just tell me what GNATS need that Savannah has, we can find a
> way to give GNATS access to it, one way or the other.

Packages like glibc and oleo provide scripts that allow PRs to be
emailed in.  Sometimes (like with glibc) it collects some system
information and fills it in for the user before sending the PR.  This
behaviour should be preserved.

--
Talk is a trick for taking the mystery out of the world.
 - Seeker, Beyond the fall of night.