Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?
Date: 19 Feb 2001 20:16:47 -0500

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:

>  > I've never used the web interface to create a list, so I don't know.
>  >
>  > Specifically, I didn't know you could.  Maybe post this question to
>  > system-hackers?
>
>  Ho my :-}

Don't worry, I already answered that in an earlier message :)

>  Well, I definitevely have to try it in order to find out how it can
> fit with Savannah. What you say scares me a bit, to say the least.

Well, not to sound authoritative, but I think it *must* fit, aren't we
creating an operating system (the GNU System), therefore our tools
should work together.

If they don't work, then we should talk with the maintainers about it.

That's one of the main things we (at the software evaluation team)
check about a package (from the software evaluation checklist):

 -Does the program fit coherently within the GNU system?

 -Does the program meet necessary requirements for being
  a GNU package?  If not, can changes be feasibly implemented
  by the author in order for the program to be acceptable?

 -Is there a large overlap with some other GNU package?
  An overlap is when two programs have substantial
  functionality in common, but neither one entirely
  subsumes the other.  (Such overlap is undesirable.)

 -Is the program free of gratuitous incompatibilities with other GNU
  packages?

  (For example, a program for searching files in a new way should
  support all the options of grep, except for those that don't make
  sense in this program, so as to attain maximum compatiibility
  between the two programs.  For such a program, any grep option
  which would make sense but is not supported is a gratuitous
  incompatibility.)

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso