Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?
Date: 19 Feb 2001 19:52:54 -0500

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:

>  Stay on fencepost. Why is it needed to register aliases ? Savannah
> will just have a link to mailman mailing lists.

> Guillaume will be implementing the following 1) send a mailing list
> creating request from Savannah to Mailman

Mailman can't automatically generate new mailing lists (so far), so
Savannah should send an email to <address@hidden>, and then
the mailing list should be created manually.

BTW, we should add a special section (marked with `#' or something
else) in /com/mailer/aliases to host all of these mailing lists, so we
could automate this in the future.

>  The integration will be lose, as it's the case with SourceForge.net
> currently. When this is done the only real benefit will be that
> savannah.gnu.org/projects/X/ will become a reference page to find a)
> CVS access, b) list of contributors, c) pointer to mailing lists, d)
> pointer to GNATS databases.

We could achieve the same for GNATS, if we just put a link to
gnatsweb, and if we use the default database layout.

But we have to decide first if we want to have something up and
running fast and not so good, or wait and have something better.

The only problem is that I don't know how much we would have to wait,
but it seems that it would be almost a rewrite of gnatsweb, what do
you think Jeff?

>  I don't understand why GNATS need aliases ?

GNATS can be fully controlled via email, Emacs, command-line,
gnatsweb, GUI.

> What is the email interface ?

In order to be fully controlled via email, you need a special email
address that is piped to a GNATS command, that executes some command
depending on the email.

> I realize I should look into GNATS and I'm not asking you to explain it ;-)

I explained only a little ;)

> If you could just tell me what GNATS need that Savannah has, we can
> find a way to give GNATS access to it, one way or the other.

Well, as it was pointed by Jeff, the username/password seems to be one
of the key elements.

- --
Hugo Gayosso
Support the Free Software