Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:34:15 +0100 (CET)

Hugo Gayosso writes:

 > Well, not to sound authoritative, but I think it *must* fit, aren't we
 > creating an operating system (the GNU System), therefore our tools
 > should work together.

 Sure. And since the SourceForge bug track is not so good to say the
least, I'm pretty sure GNATS beats it. The only thing that the
SourceForge bug track does prefectly is not to require ANY manual
operation. I'm not worried about the functionalities of GNATS, only
by the amount of work required to make it work securely without the
need for manual intervention from a system administrator.

 > If they don't work, then we should talk with the maintainers about it.
 >
 > That's one of the main things we (at the software evaluation team)
 > check about a package (from the software evaluation checklist):
 >
 >  -Does the program fit coherently within the GNU system?
 >
 >  -Does the program meet necessary requirements for being
 >   a GNU package?  If not, can changes be feasibly implemented
 >   by the author in order for the program to be acceptable?
 >
 >  -Is there a large overlap with some other GNU package?
 >   An overlap is when two programs have substantial
 >   functionality in common, but neither one entirely
 >   subsumes the other.  (Such overlap is undesirable.)
 >
 >  -Is the program free of gratuitous incompatibilities with other GNU
 >   packages?
 >
 >   (For example, a program for searching files in a new way should
 >   support all the options of grep, except for those that don't make
 >   sense in this program, so as to attain maximum compatiibility
 >   between the two programs.  For such a program, any grep option
 >   which would make sense but is not supported is a gratuitous
 >   incompatibility.)

 I very much appreciate all these explanations, thanks.