Re: [Savannah-hackers] Emacs-commit does not catch every commit

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Emacs-commit does not catch every commit
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:36:26 +0000

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 01:17:37PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Jaime E . Villate wrote:
> > As I've said before, the project's cvs page in Savannah
> > (http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=40) explains it: please read the
> > section "Developer CVS Access via SSH" very carefully.
>
> I've read it carefully, several times; please give me some minimal
> benefit of the doubt.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. We're here to help you.

> That page doesn't make it clear that it applies to my case: it doesn't
> mention the two ways of entering the Emacs CVS repository, and thus it
> is not clear that the phrase about the ``old password'' is talking,
> among others, about moving from one method of accessing the repository
> to the other.

That's true, that technical information that only concerns people who used
subversions before Savannah has been left out of the Savannah pages to keep it
simple for all other users.

> Sorry, I cannot use SSH in the case of Emacs: many times I commit
> changes from my home machine which runs MS-Windows.  Since ssh-agent
> doesn't work on Windows, it means I need to type my passphrase each
> time I run any of the CVS commands.  It is impractical for me to do so.
How about using dual boot and switching to GNU/Linux everytime you're going to
work on the Emacs project? Would that be an option for you?

> Is it possible to enable pserver with the /cvsroot/emacs method of
> accessing the repository?  If not, why not? (since the old method does
> allow it).

The problem is that the pserver method does not allow us to control which
users can change what. It only lets us declare which users are "writers" and
they will be able to change everything.
The issue of pserver has been discussed several times among cvs-hackers and
savannah-hackers and I think there are some other reasons to avoid using it,
but I'm not very familiar with the issue. Perhaps someone else in this list
can give you a better answer.

Regards,
Jaime