[Savannah-hackers] Re: Moving GNATS development to the GNU site

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Moving GNATS development to the GNU site
Date: 14 Nov 2001 23:36:32 -0500

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

> Hugo,
>
> as Jason has pointed out, we can start the transfer mostly independently
> from the Red Hat overseers' actions after Thursday 12:00PM GMT.

Ok, I will do it tomorrow after that time (that would be 07:00AM EST),
so I will definitely do that AFTER that time, I can do this only late
at night.

> Where I need your help:
>
> - To create/update the CVS archive on savannah.  The CVSROOT file is
>   accessible via rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-cvs .

I verified that I can access/retrieve it.

>   Please remove the contrib/gnatsweb subdirectory from it, since
>   Gnatsweb is a separate project on savannah, with the proper copy
>   of the archive.

Ok, but one thing, there is already a CVS tree in savannah.

https://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnats/

The files are own by `rsync' so maybe it is already being rsync'ed.  A
quick "eye" compare indicates that they are a little out of sync
(ChangeLog being 1.227 instead of 1.229 for example).

Could any of the other savannah-hackers please confirm that this rsync
s happening and if possible where is it configured?  I tried to find
the cron job that does this but I wasn't successful (I found some
garbage though, I reported that separately)

> - To create the `gnats' bug database.  The data is accessible via
> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-gnats .

I verified that I can access/retrieve it.

> This is a GNATS 3 database, it needs to be customized a little,
> which means the `dbconfig' file needs to be created in its gnats-adm
> directory.  Tell me if you need any help with this.

If you can do that quickly go ahead, send me the dbconfig, if not I
will try to figure it out myself tomorrow.

> - I created the `help-gnats' mailing lists, I'll mass subscribe the
> current gnats-devel@ subscribers to it.  However, I need a bit help
> with the other lists:
>
>   * I should create info-gnats@ as the replacement for gnats-announce@,
>     right?

I have done it for you.

>   where bug reports can be sent and where copies of new bug
>   submissions from the bug tracking system come.  Could the mailing
>   list be added to the list of lists on the `gnats' project page on
>   savannah?

I have done this.

https://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group_id=65

>   * There is the `gnats-cvs' mailing list, where CVS log files are
>   sent to.  Is it possible to create such a mailing list on
>   savannah?

I guess you mean when doing a `cvs commit'.

The convention in Savannah, is project-commit, so I have created the
mailing list:

gnats-commit

>   * There is the `gnats-prs' mailing list, where copies of all bug
>   tracking changes are sent to (this is unlike `bug-gnats', which is
>   only for new submissions, if I'm not mistaken).  I can create it
>   on savannah as well and set up `gnats' `dbconfig' properly (if
>   I'll be able to edit it).  Is it the right thing to do or is there
>   already another facility for this purpose on savannah?

I think this is the right thing to do, and actually I have already
created it for you.

> - I have no idea what to do with the mailing list archives.  Could
> you please do the right thing?  The mailing lists archives are
> available on:
>
>     rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-announce-ml-archive (-> info-gnats?)
>     rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-devel-ml-archive (-> help-gnats?)

They are all HTML pages with indexes and stuff, so I think we should
put them in the HTML tree (the one that is used to publish the web
pages at: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/ ), and have a link to
them that says something like: "old archives".

If you agree, I can do that.  But, who is "webmaster" of these web
pages so he/she puts that link?

>   I'm not sure whether it's worth to retain the gnats-cvs@ and
>   gnats-prs@ archives, but if it is, then their archives are on

We could do the same as described above.

>     rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-cvs-ml-archive
>     rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-prs-ml-archive
>
>   These should be MhonArc archives, mbox archives (missing older
>   submissions, if I understand the situation correctly) should be on
>   rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-ftp.

If they are mbox archives, we can convert them to GNU Mailman format
very easy, just to be consistent we should do that before starting the
new mailing lists, or create another mailing list (that won't be used
at all) just for this purpose (I tend to like the latter).

What do you think?

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso