[Savannah-hackers] Re: Moving GNATS development to the GNU site

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Moving GNATS development to the GNU site
Date: 16 Nov 2001 23:28:34 -0500

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

>     >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-announce-ml-archive (->
>     >> info-gnats?)
>     >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-devel-ml-archive (->
>     >> help-gnats?)
>
>     HG> They are all HTML pages with indexes and stuff, so I think we
>     HG> should put them in the HTML tree (the one that is used to
>     HG> publish the web pages at: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/ ),
>     HG> and have a link to them that says something like: "old
>     HG> archives".
>
>     HG> If you agree, I can do that.  But, who is "webmaster" of these
>     HG> web pages so he/she puts that link?
>
> That's me and Yngve, I'm going to update the pages during the transfer
> anyway, so I can put the link there.  BTW, I'd suggest to put there only
> the old archives not available in the mbox format.

Ok, I have added a directory to the web tree:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/old-mail-archives/

And there are two directories that hold the old archives:

  gnats-announce
  gnats-devel

The HTML pages of the archive show a "search" feature, but that
doesn't work (obviously), you might or might not want to remove it,
similar to some of the index links, but the messages and the
index.html files work fine.

It was not clear to me what do you want to do with the following:

>     >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-cvs-ml-archive
>     >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-prs-ml-archive
>     >>
>     >> These should be MhonArc archives, mbox archives (missing older
>     >> submissions, if I understand the situation correctly) should be
>     >> on rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-ftp.
>
>     HG> If they are mbox archives, we can convert them to GNU Mailman
>     HG> format very easy, just to be consistent we should do that before
>     HG> starting the new mailing lists, or create another mailing list
>     HG> (that won't be used at all) just for this purpose (I tend to
>     HG> like the latter).
>
>     HG> What do you think?
>
> I took a look at a sample of a mailing list archive at
> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gnats/mail-archives (the equivalent of the
> rsync location) and it's actually mbox.  I'd prefer not to create the
> special "archive" mailing list, it would be confusing and bothering to
> have two archives for a single list.
>
> If the only problem is that some message can arrive to a new mailing
> list before the archives are put there, this shouldn't stop us.  The
> risk is low and if any such a new message gets lost, I can simply resend
> it once the archives are set up.

Greetings,
- --
Hugo Gayosso