[Savannah-hackers] Re: Moving GNATS development to the GNU site

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Moving GNATS development to the GNU site
Date: 15 Nov 2001 13:02:52 +0100

    HG> Ok, I will do it tomorrow after that time (that would be 07:00AM
    HG> EST), so I will definitely do that AFTER that time, I can do
    HG> this only late at night.

OK.

    HG> Ok, but one thing, there is already a CVS tree in savannah.

    HG> https://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnats/

    HG> The files are own by `rsync' so maybe it is already being
    HG> rsync'ed.  A quick "eye" compare indicates that they are a
    HG> little out of sync (ChangeLog being 1.227 instead of 1.229 for
    HG> example).

    HG> Could any of the other savannah-hackers please confirm that this
    HG> rsync s happening and if possible where is it configured?  I
    HG> tried to find the cron job that does this but I wasn't
    HG> successful (I found some garbage though, I reported that
    HG> separately)

When someone (I thought it was you, Hugo) created the GNATS project page
on savannah for me longer time ago, the CVS archive was already there (I
didn't knew it was periodically mirrored though).  So the creator of the
project page should know.

    HG> If you can do that quickly go ahead, send me the dbconfig, if
    HG> not I will try to figure it out myself tomorrow.

OK, here it is:

I hope there are no important errors in it.

I'm sure I'll want to make changes to it and/or `gnats-adm/' files in
the `gnats' database on savannah.  It would be easier for all of us if I
could manage it myself -- is it possible?

    >> * I should create info-gnats@ as the replacement for
    >> gnats-announce@, right?

    HG> I have done it for you.

Thanks, I'll subscribe the current subscribers there.

    >> * There is the `gnats-cvs' mailing list, where CVS log files are
    >> sent to.  Is it possible to create such a mailing list on
    >> savannah?

    HG> I guess you mean when doing a `cvs commit'.

Yes.

    HG> The convention in Savannah, is project-commit, so I have created
    HG> the mailing list:

    HG> gnats-commit

Thanks, I'll subscribe the current subscribers there.

    >> * There is the `gnats-prs' mailing list, where copies of all bug
    >> tracking changes are sent to (this is unlike `bug-gnats', which
    >> is only for new submissions, if I'm not mistaken).  I can create
    >> it on savannah as well and set up `gnats' `dbconfig' properly (if
    >> I'll be able to edit it).  Is it the right thing to do or is
    >> there already another facility for this purpose on savannah?

    HG> I think this is the right thing to do, and actually I have
    HG> already created it for you.

Thanks, I'll subscribe the current subscribers there.

    >> - I have no idea what to do with the mailing list archives.
    >> Could you please do the right thing?  The mailing lists archives
    >> are available on:
    >>
    >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-announce-ml-archive (->
    >> info-gnats?)
    >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-devel-ml-archive (->
    >> help-gnats?)

    HG> They are all HTML pages with indexes and stuff, so I think we
    HG> should put them in the HTML tree (the one that is used to
    HG> publish the web pages at: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/ ),
    HG> and have a link to them that says something like: "old
    HG> archives".

    HG> If you agree, I can do that.  But, who is "webmaster" of these
    HG> web pages so he/she puts that link?

That's me and Yngve, I'm going to update the pages during the transfer
anyway, so I can put the link there.  BTW, I'd suggest to put there only
the old archives not available in the mbox format.

    >> I'm not sure whether it's worth to retain the gnats-cvs@ and
    >> gnats-prs@ archives, but if it is, then their archives are on

    HG> We could do the same as described above.

OK.

    >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-cvs-ml-archive
    >> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-prs-ml-archive
    >>
    >> These should be MhonArc archives, mbox archives (missing older
    >> submissions, if I understand the situation correctly) should be
    >> on rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats-ftp.

    HG> If they are mbox archives, we can convert them to GNU Mailman
    HG> format very easy, just to be consistent we should do that before
    HG> starting the new mailing lists, or create another mailing list
    HG> (that won't be used at all) just for this purpose (I tend to
    HG> like the latter).

    HG> What do you think?

I took a look at a sample of a mailing list archive at
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gnats/mail-archives (the equivalent of the
rsync location) and it's actually mbox.  I'd prefer not to create the
special "archive" mailing list, it would be confusing and bothering to
have two archives for a single list.

If the only problem is that some message can arrive to a new mailing
list before the archives are put there, this shouldn't stop us.  The
risk is low and if any such a new message gets lost, I can simply resend
it once the archives are set up.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
The rush to reproduce Microsofts window environment seems to overshadow the
design process of determining what a window environment should be, and what its