Re: Subprojects in Savannah

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:09:35 +0100

> Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM
> From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: iank@fsf.org, falcon@gnuhealth.org, savannah-hackers@gnu.org,
> bob@proulx.com
> Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
>
>    > This usually happens... instead of moving forward, we get a
>    > repertoire of defensive arguments that takes us nowhere in facing and
>    > tackling the real problems at GNU.org .
>
>    I can confirm that this is a recurring theme with regard to multiple Gnu
>    packages (not just savannah).  Somehow we got to turn things around.
>    Although I am seeing some of that happening, there ought to be a concerted
>    effort by those whose job it is to community direction over the long term.
>
> There is, and I suggest everyone to read the GNU Kind Communications
> Guidelines (www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.en.html) a few
> times.

This usually occurs for large packages where project leaders are likely
to become overwhelmed by the workload.  It could be quite difficult in
practice.  And it is very easy to forget and bring the wrong kind of
attention onto a project.

I remember Erik Naggum.  Erik contributed an enormous number of postings.
He was known for his polemic aggression towards what he considered to be
ignorant individuals.  We all know that that attitude backfired quite
negatively even though he was quite correct in many of his evaluations.