Re: Subprojects in Savannah

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 11:24:34 +0000

Hi, Amin

On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 01:40:19 -0500
Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org> wrote:

> IMO that is an *incredibly* tight deadline which could easily be
> missed. Anyhow, I did following to create the repositories you had
> requested:
>
> cd /srv/hg/
> ln -s health health-hmis
> mkdir
> health-{hmis-client,fhir-server,thalamus,federation-portal,mygnuhealth}
> for d in
> health-{hmis-client,fhir-server,thalamus,federation-portal,mygnuhealth};
> \ do cd "$d" && hg init && cd .. && chown -R root:health "$d"; done

Amin, you are the best. Thank you so very much!

I have disable hg at OSDN, and now we can focus on this one.

> I made health-hmis a symlink to health; but for some reason it was not
> being picked up by hgweb. I had to add health-hmis =
> /srv/hg/health-hmis into /etc/mercurial/hgwebdir.conf (and now it
> appears near the top, far from other health-* repos).   Bob, any
> thoughts/ideas as to why?

No worries about health-hmis ... we can use the existing "health" as
the HIS component, so we don't need health-hmis. We can just use the
description on that repo as "GNU Health - Hospital Information System
component"

> Luis, if the repo names with dashes are not acceptable and you prefer
> subdirectories under health/ (for example, health/thalamus instead of
> health-thalamus), we may be able to arrange for it, but it would
> likely require adding a .hgignore file in the 'health' repository to
> ignore the said subdirectories, so as to help avoid accidentally
> committing changes in those repositories through the parent
> repository.  What do you think?

It looks like they are working well with the dash, which is just fine
with me.

I will now start migrating the other components. If I find any issue, I
will send a separate email to savannah-hackers.

> > We need the freedom to manage our computing resources at GNU.org.
> > It's ironic, but we're failing on the very concept that we want the
> > community to follow, the freedom to manage their computing
> > resources.
> >
> > For instance, we should, as project administrators, have shell
> > access to create and manage the needed resources, or an alternative
> > that won't require us having to ask the GNU sysadmins to do it for
> > us. Requesting help from sysadmins should be a last resort, in case
> > of emergency. The management of our projects should be done by
> > ourselves.
>
> I agree that the general workflow(s) around Savannah could be
> improved. But this is what we have right now; please let's try our
> best to keep working with each other and continue moving things
> forward with it, until such time that a more convenient solution is
> available. :-)

Probably the best is to implement a new hosting platform for Savannah.
Some months ago we exchange some emails, don't remember if it was at
gnu-private or at savannah-hackers. Probably the tedious part would
be transferring the current users accounts, but I think a new platform
for Savannah will be a great milestone.

> Thank you for your patience, and for bearing with us as we work
> through this.

Thanks to you. I, and I am positive the whole GNU family, are very
grateful to you, Amin.

All the best
Luis