Re: [Texmacs-dev] Copying tex and latex code from emacs to texmacs

From: TeXmacs
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Copying tex and latex code from emacs to texmacs
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 11:35:47 +0200

Hi Henri,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 03:22:57AM +0200, henri-biard@francemel.fr wrote:
> A summary of commands are listed here
>
> https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/texinfo-3.9/html_chapter/texinfo_24.html

Thanks for the reminder.  The list is indeed somewhat long,
so it would take some time to write a converter.
But it would make sense if someone has the time.

> My routine work usually involves converting equations.  A useful thing would
> be to construct mathematical expressions rapidly in TeXmacs, so I can paste
> them
> as standard plain text commands in texinfo math blocks
>
> Example: texinfo code using @tex command for plain tex mathematical
> expressions.
>
> @tex
> \noindent $\underline{\bf Morlet\; Wavelet}$
> $$ \displaystyle \psi
> = \pi^{-1/4} e^{-{t^2 / 2}} (e^{i \xi_0 t} - e^{-\xi_0^2 / 2}) $$
> @end tex
>
> Currently this is easier to do with LyX rather than TeXmacs.  In LyX you can
> do
>
> View > Source Pane

Of course, there is no TeX/LaTeX "source code" when you use TeXmacs,
so this would not make sense.

But after doing 'Tools -> Miscellaneous -> Export selections as -> LaTeX',
you can achieve the same effect without even having to switch to a source pane.
So this actually even seems a bit better than LyX, but maybe I am missing
something.

But there remains the plain TeX issue.  Please let us know of possible
problems that you might have with the LaTeX code that we are currently
generating.
I guess that there should be few differences between TeX and LaTeX when
it comes to basic formulas.  Maybe some of the symbols that come from
special packages may cause problems with plain TeX?

Best wishes, --Joris