Re: [Texmacs-dev] Copying tex and latex code from emacs to texmacs

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Copying tex and latex code from emacs to texmacs
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 17:35:55 +0200

Dear Herni,

On 21. Jun 2021, at 16:42, henri-biard@francemel.fr wrote:

From: TeXmacs <texmacs@lix.polytechnique.fr>
To: texmacs-dev@gnu.org
Date: 21/06/2021 11:35:47 Europe/Paris

Hi Henri,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 03:22:57AM +0200, henri-biard@francemel.fr wrote:
> A summary of commands are listed here
>
> https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/texinfo-3.9/html_chapter/texinfo_24.html

Thanks for the reminder. The list is indeed somewhat long,
so it would take some time to write a converter.
But it would make sense if someone has the time.

***  If it makes sense to you, I would be keen to test it.  I have reservations about
a converter from TeXmacs to Texinfo.  Texinfo required additional information
that would not make sense in TeXmacs.

I do not agree. The direction it makes more sense to me is from TeXmacs to TeXinfo, i.e. creating TeXinfo documents from TeXmacs. TeXmacs support a wide variety of markup content, and I see not a problem to support the editing of the metainformations of TeXinfo files.

***  But a converter from Texinfo to TeXmacs would be useful.  You simply got to
remove some @-cammands in Texinfo, convert the sectioning structures (and related
constucts e.g. enumeration, references, footnotes) and handle mathematical expressions,
and you are done.

I can see how this could be useful with legacy documents, but in this case one can simply generate TeX files from TeXinfo and then convert them to TeXmacs. Would not this be enough?

Best regards,
Massimiliano Gubinelli

> My routine work usually involves converting equations.  A useful thing would
> be to construct mathematical expressions rapidly in TeXmacs, so I can paste them
> as standard plain text commands in texinfo math blocks
>
> Example: texinfo code using @tex command for plain tex mathematical expressions.
>
> @tex
> \noindent $\underline{\bf Morlet\; Wavelet}$
> $$ \displaystyle \psi
> = \pi^{-1/4} e^{-{t^2 / 2}} (e^{i \xi_0 t} - e^{-\xi_0^2 / 2}) $$
> @end tex
>
> Currently this is easier to do with LyX rather than TeXmacs.  In LyX you can do
>
> View > Source Pane

Of course, there is no TeX/LaTeX "source code" when you use TeXmacs,
so this would not make sense.

***  It is the reason I pointed out that a converter from TeXmacs to Texinfo
will pose some serious problems.  Have reservations the utility of adding
texinfo commands in TeXmacs for export.

But after doing 'Tools -> Miscellaneous -> Export selections as -> LaTeX',
you can achieve the same effect without even having to switch to a source pane.
So this actually even seems a bit better than LyX, but maybe I am missing something.

***  Initially I thought you were missing something, but thinking more about it,
that would work actually, and be useful.

But there remains the plain TeX issue. Please let us know of possible
problems that you might have with the LaTeX code that we are currently generating.
I guess that there should be few differences between TeX and LaTeX when
it comes to basic formulas. Maybe some of the symbols that come from
special packages may cause problems with plain TeX?

***  I will run a test session and report back.  The Plain Tex converter would enhance
TexMacs capabilities considerably, because it will make it easier to write texinfo
documentation involving mathematical expressions.

Best wishes, --Joris