tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] CVS broken

From: Frederik Deweerdt
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] CVS broken
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:34:02 +0200

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 08:59:20AM +0200, Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2009/6/2 Frederik Deweerdt <address@hidden>:
> >>
> >> May be we should (re)start a discussion on using either Git or Hg as a
> >> replacement for CVS.
> >> DVCS are obviously more robust solutions in this kind of situation,
> >> plus the other advantages they bring.
> >
> > Yes, yes, yes! I'd say that we could let savannah as is and sync from
> > time to time, I'll try setting up a repository at github to see what
> > can be done with the import options . I'm more familiar with git, but
> > don't mind using mercurial either.
>
> What do you mean by "as-is"?
> Savannah is now (since some time ago) offering either
> git or hg hosting as VCS.
If I understood correctly, if we don't do anything, savannah will restore
the backup as CVS.

So we could let the CVS as official repo, then have a git tree somewhere
else (it's not the first time that savannah is unavailable/crashes),
and sync git and CVS from time to time.

> We could ask Savannah hackers to switch from CVS to either git or hg
> while staying at Savannah.
>
> We could then replicate the (git-or-hg) repository to github but
> normally we do not need that since every (active) developer should have
> copy of the repo on its oiwn disk.
>
> Personnally I would suggest to restore CVS and then prepare the switch
> to git or hg and then switch.
>
> I'll start a thread with git vs hg  soon.
Be sure to CC toulibre, so that the flames are effective :-)

Regards,
Frederik