tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] CVS broken

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] CVS broken
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:35:42 +0200

2009/6/3 Frederik Deweerdt <address@hidden>:

>> > Yes, yes, yes! I'd say that we could let savannah as is and sync from
>> > time to time, I'll try setting up a repository at github to see what
>> > can be done with the import options . I'm more familiar with git, but
>> > don't mind using mercurial either.
>>
>> What do you mean by "as-is"?
>> Savannah is now (since some time ago) offering either
>> git or hg hosting as VCS.
> If I understood correctly, if we don't do anything, savannah will restore
> the backup as CVS.

Yes and I find it the right short term solution.

> So we could let the CVS as official repo, then have a git tree somewhere
> else (it's not the first time that savannah is unavailable/crashes),
> and sync git and CVS from time to time.

We could but I don't really like the idea of a "master" CVS,
while most of us will certainly want git or hg or git or hg or ...
Note that having a "master" git @ Savannah does not exclude the idea
of having other git synchronized tree elsewhere is order to ensure
that those servers can sustain the load of our commit rate :-)
No more seriously having some git/hg tree replica will
ensure better chance of  recovery.

Concerning Savannah outage I have to temper your words.
As far as I remember we did face 3 outage period during the last 7 years
and only one of them was a crash with possible data-loss.
The first outage has been during something like a week due to some
security issue. The second was something like a network failure.
Both outage did not induce data loss (beside regenerating ssh key).

The third and last was the disk mess-up, which is like very very
unlikely situation, where your RAID hardware setup + software backup
**may** broke together.

Note that most respectful hosting services do experience full or
partial outage:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/wordpress/sourceforge/category/outages/
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/04/msg00132.html
http://github.com/blog/387-afternoon-outage

Whatsoever each time the Savannah hackers were fast and responsive.
I think we should thank them a lot for their hard work.
Remember we do not pay a penny for this service, EVEN not
a single spurious Webs Ads of ANY kind
 (besides some levitating GNU on the left).

I personnally think they deserve some fidelity. I even think that
if the free/open source model of work induce some risks
we should find a way to cope with it.
Gooing DVCS may be a solution.
Freedom has no price but we should be prepared for it :-)

Moreover since Savannah offers both git and hg I don't see why
we cannot switch to git or hg directly on Savannah?

The only reason is to "keep" some "legacy" cvs access,
which we can already have (read-only) using git-cvsserver.

>From another exchange with Savannah hackers:

> Me
>> However I wanted to know whether if Savannah offers to git-cvsserver access
>> to git hosted project or not?

> Savannah Hackers
> Yes (at pserver.git.savannah.gnu.org)

>> I'll start a thread with git vs hg  soon.
> Be sure to CC toulibre, so that the flames are effective :-)

Off course I will, even if I'm pretty sure git will burn during this flame :-)
Stay tuned.

--
Erk