News item about ABI change

From: Wolfgang Jährling
Subject: News item about ABI change
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 03:49:01 +0200

Hi!

Marcus asked me to hack the news item[*] Jeff wrote for Debian Planet to
be apropriate for posting on the Hurd news page. Here's the result.

Marcus, if you don't like it, tell me within 12 hours; if you don't,
I'll put this on the page. (That's a clever way to get a response fast,
isn't it? =))

Corrections on spelling and grammar mistakes are welcome from everyone,
of course.

We are currently finishing the transition from a stdio-based GNU C
Library (glibc) to a libio-based one.  This is the result of not only
five months of work, but a lot of changes we put into getting the system
ready and, of course, the work that the glibc developers did to make
glibc what it is.

This change will have various advantages, for example libio has been
tested more extensively, as it is also used by most GNU/Linux systems
today.  However, it also means a change in the Application Binary
Interface (ABI) of glibc, thus you will need to reinstall an existing
Debian GNU/Hurd system.  Upgrading has not been tested at all, so better
do not expect it to work.  Also note that you will need to get some of
the Debian packages from <A
HREF="ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-libio/";>alpha.gnu.org</A>.
Read the recent mailing list archives for details.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

[*] <http://www.debianplanet.org/article.php?sid=668&mode=thread&order=0>

--