Re: News item about ABI change

From: Grant Bowman
Subject: Re: News item about ABI change
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 19:02:55 -0700

Hi Wolfgang (and Jeff),

Nice writing guys.  I'm glad to see this.  These articles will help
provide some clarity to the situation that's now presented to non-Hurd
afficiondos.  Here are a few small changes you might want to consider,
plus what Marcus recommended.

Cheers,

-- Grant

* Wolfgang Jährling <address@hidden> [020504 18:21]:
> We are currently finishing the transition from a stdio-based GNU C
> Library (glibc) to a libio-based one.  This is the result of not only

Library (glibc 0.2) to libio-based glibc 0.3.  This is the same type of
transition that GNU/Linux made during it's libc converstion several
years ago.  This is the result of not only ...

> five months of work, but a lot of changes we put into getting the system
> ready and, of course, the work that the glibc developers did to make
> glibc what it is.
>
> This change will have various advantages, for example libio has been
> tested more extensively, as it is also used by most GNU/Linux systems
> today.  However, it also means a change in the Application Binary
> Interface (ABI) of glibc,

Since this converstion means all binaries must be recompiled, the best
way to proceed is to do a complete reinstall of Debian GNU/Hurd using a
new tarball from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-staging/ or
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/ when it becomes available.
Upgrading an existing installation is untested, unsupported, and is
expected to fail horribly.  You have been warned.

<omit>
> thus you will need to reinstall an existing
> Debian GNU/Hurd system.  Upgrading has not been tested at all, so better
> do not expect it to work.  Also note that you will need to get some of
> the Debian packages from <A
> HREF="ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-libio/";>alpha.gnu.org</A>.
</omit>

A recommended /etc/apt/sources.list will include the following lines,
substituting your local Debian mirror for the ftp.debian.org lines.

deb ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-libio unstable main
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main

Please ...