Re: News item about ABI change

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: News item about ABI change
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 04:13:17 +0200

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 07:02:55PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> * Wolfgang Jährling <address@hidden> [020504 18:21]:
> > We are currently finishing the transition from a stdio-based GNU C
> > Library (glibc) to a libio-based one.  This is the result of not only
>
> Library (glibc 0.2) to libio-based glibc 0.3.  This is the same type of
> transition that GNU/Linux made during it's libc converstion several
> years ago.  This is the result of not only ...

Be careful with this.  Many people think of libc5->libc6 here, which is not
what we did.  (see debianplanet for one confused soul).  libc0.2 is
light years ahead of libc5, of course.  Except for the I/O library, we used
the same generic code base as GNU/Linux libc6.  In libc0.3, we are also
sharing the common libio I/O library.

Of course, from the packaging aspects, both ABI breaks pose the same
problems.  But from the features, for example, libio is not giving so many
advantages (you can push more than one char back on a stream, there are less
bugs, it is thread safe, stdc++ compatible [? look this up before you quote
this, because I am not sur what it means] and it's more efficient, more
tested, better maintained).

Thanks,
Marcus

--