Re: News item about ABI change

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: News item about ABI change
Date: 05 May 2002 03:28:40 +0200

* Wolfgang Jährling writes:
> We are currently finishing the transition from a stdio-based GNU C
> Library (glibc) to a libio-based one.  This is the result of not
> only five months of work, but a lot of changes we put into getting
> the system ready and, of course, the work that the glibc developers
> did to make glibc what it is.

> This change will have various advantages, for example libio has been
> tested more extensively, as it is also used by most GNU/Linux
> systems today.  However, it also means a change in the Application
> Binary Interface (ABI) of glibc, thus you will need to reinstall an
> existing Debian GNU/Hurd system.  Upgrading has not been tested at
> all, so better do not expect it to work.  Also note that you will
> need to get some of the Debian packages from <A
> HREF="ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/debian-libio/";>alpha.gnu.org</A>.
I think this was supposed to become /gnu/hurd/debian/ when the switch
is finally done.

> Read the recent mailing list archives for details.

Is it not still a bit early to make an public annoucment? From what I know
Jeff and Marcus (and whom ever I forgot) are still working on the switch and
building all the packages. Other than that the news item looks OK.

--
Alfred M. Szmidt